Search by color. Remarkable, addictive color search for your photographs and products.
MulticolorEngine is very likely the best color search engine in the world*. MulticolorEngine lets your users explore your products or images using colors.
What is MulticolorEngine?
MulticolorEngine is a color search API for use with your image collection or products. It allows you to find images that best match one or more colors.
MulticolorEngine lets you search your image collection or products using colors. It is automated, accurate, fast and remarkable.
- Eliminates the need for manual tagging of colors in images.
- Lets you and your customers find images that best match a single or multiple colors.
- Enhances image collection exploration.
- Creates addictive experiences.
- Is fully hosted and is easily integrated with your website, enterprise solutions or web services.
- Supports a full set of metadata search capabilities, allowing you to build interfaces that can, for example, find all products priced less then $50.00, in the 'shoe' category that most closely match a particular shade of yellow.
- Allows you to extract the color palette from an image or a set of images. For example, if you were an online shoe store, you could get a palette showing all the colors available for a particular shoe style.
- Can also provide a count of the number of products you have that match a particular color, allowing users to easily browse your collection by color.
Take the MulticolorEngine for a spin and explore by color 10 million creative commons images in our lab.
MulticolorEngine is delivered as a fully-hosted web API. It runs over HTTP using a REST protocol and JSON or XML formatted responses.
Our MulticolorEngine API gives you the ability to search your images using colors as a search parameter. You are familiar with searching using keywords: you provide a keyword to a search engine and it replies with a list of search results that include that keyword. With MulticolorEngine, your search query is one or more colors and the results are images that contain your query colors.
The MulticolorEngine starts by indexing all the images in your collection. The indexing process involves extracting detailed color information from each image in your image collection. The extracted color information is stored in our specialized MulticolorEngine colorDB. This indexing process facilitates fast searching based on colors and allows our MulticolorEngine to scale to searching hundreds of millions of images. The MulticolorEngine colorDB can also maintain additional information about your images (e.g., tags and categories) and allow you to search based on this information.
Finds images best matching any colors
MulticolorEngine generates a precise color representation for any image that it indexes. This color index is then used to return best color matches for any image.
Integrates easily with your existing technologies
As a fully-hosted API, MulticolorEngine is not dependent on the programming languages, back-end technologies or operating system you currently use in your technical environment.
You can continue to hold your product or image information in your existing database. MulticolorEngine can return the same image or product identifiers you use now, along with its color search results.
Ignores solid and transparent backgrounds in images
Most products are photographed on a solid background. MulticolorEngine has been designed to ignore solid or transparent background colors when indexing images so that your image background is not included in your color index.
Extracts color palette of individual images or sets of images
MulticolorEngine is able to not only return colors existing in a single image but it can also extract colors from a set of images. Using this feature you could display all the colors you have available in sofas, chairs and tables, and then let a user filter their search to only display green chairs.
Supports metadata searching
You are probably already using a search technology, a content management or publishing system or an e-commerce platform. MulticolorEngine supports any arbitrary meta data and category structure.
Is fast, accurate and scales to any size image collection
MulticolorEngine has been developed by the team behind TinEye. TinEye is the world's first reverse image search engine. Give it an image and it will tell you where that image has appeared on the web by searching it's multi-billion image index.
MulticolorEngine technology is fueled by TinEye's ongoing image recognition research and development. As a company, we have spent a decade working on image search and recognition, visual similarity and image tracking.
MulticolorEngine Plans & Pricing
Pay As You Grow
$200/month Sign up
$500/month Sign up
$1,500/month Sign up
Please Call Contact Us
|Setup Fee||$500||$500||$500||Please Call|
|Monthly Searches||$0.01 /search||60,000||300,000||Up to 50 million|
|Image Collection Size||$0.01 /image per month||20,000||200,000||Up to 500 million|
|Additional Searches||-||$0.005 /search||$0.0025 /search||Please Call|
|Additional Collection||-||$0.005 /image per month||$0.0025 /image per month||Please Call|
|Private Image Collection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SLA||No||No||99.5%||Up to 99.95%|
|Cancel at any time||
Need a custom plan? Email us or call us at + 1 416 860 0330.
- Base monthly fee, charged in advance of the month. Any overusage fees are charged the following month.
- This is a one-time fee to set up your API.
- The number of searches you can perform each month without additional cost.
- The maximum number of images you can have in your search collection with no additional cost.
- Per-search fee for use beyond your monthly limit.
- Monthly fee for usage beyond your image collection size, calculated based on daily average.
- Your images are not visible to anyone else.
- API calls can be made over HTTPS.
- Service Level Agreement. We guarantee this level of uptime per month.
- The physical computer(s) used to host your API and images will not be used for any other client's API.
- Weekdays, 10am to 5pm ET.
- Weekdays, 10am to 5pm ET.
- Cancellation will take effect at the end of your current billing period. You will not receive a refund for billing that has already occurred.
- All API licenses are subject to the TinEye terms of service
- Your credit card details are required for the signup.
- Minimum billing: one month. You can cancel your API account at any time.
- Before you sign up be sure to read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Need to speak to someone?
Call + 1 416 860 0330 or send us an email and we will be happy to answer your questions.
MulticolorEngine Support & Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an API? The acronym "API" stands for "Application Programming Interface". It provides a way for your developers to integrate our technology with your systems.
- Why would I want to use the MulticolorEngine API? Searching by color is a powerful and intuitive feature to add to your current search methods. If you have an image collection where color plays an important role, for example e-commerce, fashion, poster collections, art, etc., multicolor search allows your users to easily browse your collection using color.
- Where can I find documentation about the MulticolorEngine API? Documentation for the MulticolorEngine API can be found here.
- Can I see MulticolorEngine search examples or try the search out for myself? Yes, right here. The MulticolorEngine drives the search-by-color implemented in our labs. Visit the labs to use it and evaluate its performance.
- What programming languages are supported? The API is independent of the programming language you use, so you can work with any language you like. We provide and support API libraries in many development languages in order to make it even easier to integrate. You can see our current library list here.
- How does MulticolorEngine work? The MulticolorEngine indexes all the images in your collection by extracting detailed color information about each one. This information is kept in a specialized colorDB that facilitates fast searching based on color. The colorDB can also maintain additional information about your images (e.g., tags and categories) and allow you to search based on this information.
What are the major functions supported by the API?
'remove'from the images in your collection of searchable images.
'search'for images that match one or more RGB colors - this is multicolor search.
'search'for images that match the colors of another image. This allows end users to find images that match the colors of their image.
'extract_colors'returns the dominant colors of a given image. This is very useful if a user wants to be able to search for images that match only some of the colors in an input image. You can show them the palette of their image and let them pick.
'extract_collection_colors'returns the colors of a subset of the images in your collection. This lets you show your users what colors you have, before they even start a color search.
'count_collection_colors'returns the number of your images that match a given color.
- Will MulticolorEngine work with my images? MulticolorEngine works with most images. But if you are concerned about your images or your particular use case scenario, please get in touch to describe your project in as much detail as possible, and we will provide an expert opinion. We are happy to work on challenging implementations!
- How do I prepare my image collection for use with MulticolorEngine? Images should be in JPEG, PNG or GIF format. They should be sized to approximately 200 pixels in the smallest dimension.
- How does MulticolorEngine index my images? It extracts information about the patterns within your images to create a unique 'fingerprint' for each image. The fingerprints are added to an index of all the fingerprints of the images in your collection. When searches are performed, they work by comparing the fingerprints of images.
How do I add my images to the MulticolorEngine API?
Images are submitted to the MulticolorEngine via an HTTP post
using the API‘s
'add'function. Submitted images are copied to our servers where they are automatically fingerprinted using our image recognition technology and made available for searching. The unique fingerprint generated for each image is what the MulticolorEngine uses to distinguish one image from another and identify matches. Images should be prepared as follows:
- JPEG, PNG or GIF file types
- Scaled to ~200 pixels in the SMALLEST dimension
- How are my images stored? Your images are stored securely on our datacenter servers.
- Can the MulticolorEngine be integrated with other search technologies? Yes. It has been designed with this in mind, for example keywords or categories.
- Do you supply a web user interface I can use on my website for color searching? No. The API does not have a user interface. It is expected that you will add color searching to your existing interface.
- How do I report problems, bugs or feature requests? We are happy to hear from you. Get in touch and we will respond to your question as quickly as possible.
- Can I get a free trial? We do not offer free trials. What we can do for free is offer you an expert opinion. Tell us about your project, provide sample images and we will let you know if any of our APIs meet your needs. Get in touch. Our API licenses are monthly licenses starting at $200 per month. You can cancel your API license at any time.
- Need Support? Can't find the answer you are looking for? Would like to speak to us directly? Please get in touch and we will get back to you as quickly as possible.
* Forgive us, we are biased.